The idea of working as a web designer can be really overwhelming, but what are other things you need to know besides the skills and the know-how you are already having?
Here are 5 things you really need to know as a web designer:
- Don’t stop learning. The web industry is constantly evolving, for example, web design trends are constantly changing over the years, the languages are also changing. As a web designer, you need to keep up with the trends otherwise you will be left behind and suffer the consequences. Thus, it is recommended that you make a habit of learning through so many ways such as reading articles and books, watching videos online, or attending classes.
- Stop doing free work. For beginners, this is understandable as you think you want to promote your services to friends and family and you are not sure about the payment yet. Don’t consider doing your work for free even though your friends ask you for a favour. There is a quote that says, “If you are good at something, never do it for free.”
- Understand more before working. Take your time to understand the project given to you before getting into coding or designing, ask your clients relevant questions such as what does your business do, who is the target audience, and then you can start working.
- Embrace the criticism. People make mistakes and that is okay. Accept any comment and feedback from your clients or your employer because it is quite helpful. You might be affected by the criticism at first but it will help you to grow as well as to improve your skills.
- Stop comparing. It is natural to compare yourself with others, however, it can discourage you and make you feel defeated. Compare your work and think of it as something that helps you in learning and progressing to be better in the future. However, don’t compare your work with others and brag about it if your work is slightly better than their work. You don’t want to sound like a jerk.